FULLSIZE
page 129  (19 pages)
172to next section

THE NEW ZEALAND BISHOPS.—A special service was held on the night of March 15 at St. Paul's Church, Auckland, for the purpose of commending the Bishop of Wellington to the grace of God for the work to which he has been called. Although the notice of this service was very brief, there was a full attendance of the clergy and the members of the Church in Auckland desirous of giving their parting testimony of Christian affection and esteem for a pastor who, in his office of Archdeacon of Waitemata, had endeared himself to all classes of his parishioners.——The ceremony of consecrating the Ven. Archdeacon William Williams, of Turanga, to the bishopric of the native district of Waiapu, took place on Sunday afternoon, April 3, at St. Peter's, Te Aro. This church was selected as being the largest in Wellington, and, in order to afford opportunity for the Church members of the outlying districts to attend, admission was directed to be by ticket. At half-past two the clergy of the diocese, and others now attending the Synod, entered the church, in full canonicals. The Bishop of New Zealand conducted the principal part of the service, the Epistle being read by the Bishop of Wellington, the Gospel by the Bishop of Christchurch, and the Queen's commission authorising the consecration by his Honour Mr. Justice Johnston. The sermon was preached, by the Bishop of New Zealand, from the 2nd Epistle to Timothy, ii. 1, 2. 6.8.1859